This has been ridiculously hard! Trying to narrow it down and choose just 10 songs has been so difficult.
So many songs have special meanings to me, from childhood “classics” like the Spice Girls, teenage angst like Eminem or Christmas classics from Bublé.
In no particular order, these are 10 of my favourite or most meaningful songs. Some are just plain fun!
1. Ain’t No Mountain High Enough – our first dance at our wedding reception. We didn’t want anything too slow, the idea was for everyone to join in with the dancing, but no one did!
2. Truly, Madly, Deeply (Savage Garden) – another song from our wedding, this is what I walked down the aisle to. We chose this as “our” song when we were younger. There are more songs now that mean more to us, but it’ll still always be special.
3. How Long Will I Love You (Ellie Goulding) – this was played a lot when I was pregnant with G, and it was on in the car the first time I felt him flutter and move.
4. Love Me For A Reason (Boyzone) – I mentioned in the post about concerts how much I loved Boyzone when I was younger. In fact cheesy 90’s pop was/is very much my taste! This is the first song I can remember being utterly obsessed with, and the video too.
5. C’est La Vie (B*witched) – sticking with the cheesy pop factor, this is played at every party and gathering with friends, usually when there’s alcohol involved I’ll admit (though it’s not always necessary either!) We will always requested for this to be played, and we will always make a bad attempt at Irish dancing!
6. I Will Survive (Gloria Gaynor) – this became a bit of an anthem for me and my Mum years ago. We don’t need it anymore, not to cheer us up anyway, but it’s still a good reminder, and we like to have a good song along and dance to it when it’s played.
7. Mysterious Girl (Peter Andre) – and I’m drawn back to the cheese again! I cant remember the exact time I found out, but many years ago I discovered that Mr H knows ALL the words, including the rap, so now he must (at force or bribery) sing it for me at every party/disco/night out whenever I can get it played. This is guaranteed to make me smile, and love him a little bit more everytime!
8. Who Loves You (Four Seasons/Jersey Boys Musical) – we went to see the musical in the West end a few years ago, and were familiar with most of the songs anyway, but the film version of the musical was out not long after we had G. It was our first date post baby. A few days later I heard Mr H singing this to G in the small hours and my heart melted. And now it always will when I hear it.
9. Half The World Away (Oasis) – I’ve mentioned it many times before, but I’m a TV addict. Many of my favourite shows to watch were introduced to me by Mr H, how I missed them before I don’t know! Probably the main one, and one of our favourite shows to watch together is The Royle Family. We’ve seen every episode more times than I’d know, and the Christmas specials even more than that. The theme tune always makes me think of cozy evenings in with Mr H.
10. I Will Always Love You (Whitney Houston) – as a child this was probably my all time favourite, and my first “car karaoke” song. My mum had the Bodyguard album on cassette in the car, and this was the best track to belt along with. Even now I can’t skip the song if it comes on shuffle, even if it’s not the mood I was looking for. And I have to sing along, it’s just the unsaid rule!
That is a very narrowed down list, I could have gone on forever!
Mrs H xxx